9 Things to Do For Your Home For Fall Checklist
1. Clean and Seal Your Deck/Patio
- Check for any loose nails or screws and tighten or replace fasteners as needed.
- Power wash on a day no colder than 40 degrees. (We live in Florida, so do it before “Winter”).
- Inspect for cracks or areas that are splintering and fill any cracks with epoxy wood filler.
2. Winterize Your Driveway and Sidewalks
- Pull weeds, repair cracks, seal expansion joints, and clean and seal the surface.
3. Check Your Home’s Heating and Air
- Check air filters, clean your outdoor unit, and schedule a tune-up with a professional HVAC company. (If you need a recommendation, just let us know, we have a preferred vendor list).
4. Winterize Your Lawn by Cutting and Aerating
- Water generously, mulch the roots, ward off pests, protect newer plants, and clean up your debris.
5. Clean and Repair Gutters and Downspouts
- Remove any leaves, twigs or other debris that may be preventing proper drainage. Once all debris has been removed, flush your gutters with water and inspect the joints and tighten any brackets as necessary. (If you’d like a local gutter company recommendation, let us know, we have a preferred vendor list).
6. Inspect and Clean Space Heaters
- Clean the grates, inspect the cord, ensure you have property ventilation.
- Heating is the second-leading cause of US home fires and the leading cause of home fire deaths according to Susan McKelvey of the National Fire Protection Association…which leads us into #7.
7. Check Smoke Detectors
- Inspect and change batteries if necessary. Practice fire safety drills with you family and have a fire safety plan in place so everyone in the family knows what to do and where to meet.
8. Check Carbon Monoxide Detectors (If you are on natural gas)
- Ensure you have carbon monoxide detectors and replace batteries every year.
9. Inspect Window Seals and Door Seals
- Check and seal all window and door seals with caulk. This will help keep your home more energy efficient and keep bugs, water from working its way in.
If you need any recommendations for a company to come do any work at your home, please email us at email@example.com and we can send you one of our preferred vendors, just let us know what you’re needing done.